Saturday, October 23, 2010

Little Ones

If you know me at all, you know that I absolutely love kids - of all ages. Growing up, I couldn't wait until I was old enough to babysit, and was thrilled to death when a young mother would let me hold their new baby. I've worked in the nursery at church as long as I can remember. In fact, I beg our nursery director to put me on the rotation during the few weeks we're home each year. And Ryan and I loved helping with our children's church program for a couple years. Since we moved down to Grenada, I've missed my regular interaction with little kids. Not to mention that several of my close friends have had babies while I've been gone. (Don't worry, I require regular picture updates from them.)

A few days ago, I found out that I will have the opportunity to spend time several days a week with a beautiful 12-week old baby girl! One of Ryan's MPH professors saw him on campus last week and asked if I'd be interested in babysitting her daughter. Not only will I get to love on a little one again, but this is extra special because I was able to help with her baby shower back in June. This will also provide a little extra income for us which will help with our grocery bill and other expenses. The Lord has provided for us above what I could have imagined!

Speaking of kids, Ryan and I met the funniest little boy at the grocery store this morning. We were standing at the entrance to the shopping center where we could wait for the bus in the air conditioning. It's always good when the milk hasn't spoiled by the time we get home just from sitting out in the sun. The bus schedule is apparently just a suggestion for the drivers, as the bus may or may not show up on time.

While we were waiting, this little 6 or 7 year old boy came up to the window and mouthed to me that the bus was coming. I smiled and told him thank you, and Ryan and I gathered our bags and started walking towards the door. Before we could get there, though, he came running in and said, "The bus isn't coming - I tricked you! I'm a good tricker!" Of course, he loved the attention and the fact that we thought he was funny and proceeded to repeat the "trick" several more times. He was so engaging and friendly. He told me all about first grade and how he likes it, but would rather not have to go to school. I wish I had had my camera with me today! When the bus eventually came, he opened the door for us and waved good-bye. I love how just talking to a child for a couple minutes can brighten your whole day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...