Thursday, December 8, 2011

Telling Ryan

I've had several people ask me how I told Ryan that we are expecting a baby, so I thought I would share the story with you today.

I was just over 4 weeks along the morning that I found out I was pregnant. Ryan was already at the library studying for his Pathology midterm. After staring at the test for a couple minutes and then crying for the next couple hours, I began to think about how I would tell Ryan.

While we were home this past summer, I bought a little gift to bring down with me in case the opportunity presented itself. And this was the perfect opportunity. Ryan actually came home for lunch a few hours later, and I managed to act normal and not say anything. I wanted to make the moment special. So once he was back at the library, I set to work baking him a chocolate cake and making one of his favorite meals - cinnamon apple pancakes, scrambled eggs with cheese, and maple-glazed bacon. And I placed a little package on his pillow.

When he came home for dinner, he immediately saw the gift and asked what it was. I told him it was a "just because" gift. He tore off the blue wrapping paper and was left holding a tiny pair of baby scrubs. He looked at them for a couple seconds, rather confused, and said, "This is a just because gift?" I replied, "Yes, just because we're pregnant!" He asked if I was serious, and I assured him I was. It took a few minutes for the news to sink in, but we couldn't be more excited!


Speaking of the new daddy, he has now finished his fourth term of medical school. We'll be flying back to Greenville on Monday and spending a few weeks with our families for Christmas. One more term in Grenada (January - May) and then we'll move home for the summer while he studies for and takes the USMLE (US Medical Licensing Exam). We look forward to keeping you all updated on our adventures!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sarah! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations!!!!! so exciting! and great way to tell the husband :-) you're too cute, and i pray and wish the richest blessings of God upon your new adventure together! luv, jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, yay, yay!!!! I just figured it out because of a giveaway that the other Bethany sent you. Congratulations to both of you! Very cute "reveal" too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...