Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pancakes and Orange Mittens

When I was growing up, pancakes were not one of my favorite meals, for some reason. Now, I love them, especially when they've been perked up with apples or pumpkin or other yummy add-ins. Tonight I decided to make pancakes for supper. I had some leftover chocolate chips and walnuts from the cookies I made a couple weeks ago. So I added those to the batter along with a few sprinkles of cinnamon. They were delicious, and the perfect fall meal.


This week I completed a couple more knitting projects. First, I wanted to make something to match the orange hat. I found a pattern for little newborn mittens and gave them a try. I added a cream stripe around the cuff and then decided to add a cream pom pom to the hat to make a coordinating set. Ryan liked the mittens so much, he asked me to make him a pair. I'll probably make his with thumbs, though.


I tried my first sweater this week. It's an adorable pattern for a baby cardigan with a v-neck. The first time I started it, I miscounted the stitches about a quarter of the way into it. So I ripped it out. While I did that, though, I noticed that the sweater seemed to be extremely small - as in maybe it would fit a doll. I checked my yarn and needles and everything matched the pattern. But for some reason when I knit it, it comes out much smaller. Sometimes you can adjust for that by increasing the needle size, but with the particular yarn I had chosen, it made the fabric too loose. So I gave up on the sweater until I can find different yarn.

Instead, I made a cute pair of gray shoes to match the beret from a few weeks ago. I'll post a picture once I sew on the buttons. I've also started a pair of lacy pink booties, so we'll see how those turn out as well.

I think having such a fun hobby really does make the time go by faster. We'll be home for Christmas in just a little over 2 months! I'm looking forward to stocking up on yarn and buttons and all kinds of fun things while we're there.

1 comment:

  1. "I'll probably make his with thumbs, though" made me laugh out loud! You're doing an amazing job with your knitting! I will have to get you to teach me some of your tricks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...