Thursday, September 2, 2010

In the Dark

Today has provided several new experiences for me. This afternoon, we had one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever experienced. The rain was coming down in sheets, the wind whipped through the trees, and the thunder was so strong that our doors shook. As the storm was ending, I heard a siren going off somewhere on campus. I had no idea what it was signaling (and still don't) but as I didn't see people running down the street or hear anything else alarming, I ignored it, and eventually it stopped.

A couple minutes later I noticed a lizard climbing up the wall next to our kitchen window. As Ryan was still in class, and I wasn't about to touch it, I decided to keep an eye on the little creature so I could point him out to Ryan when he got home. I watched it for a few minutes before it disappeared into a crack between the top of the wall and the ceiling. At first I was just glad it was gone. Then it occurred to me that if it could disappear in that direction, it could just as easily reappear at any time. Not a comforting thought! But so far I haven't seen him or any other members of his family.

Not that I would be able to see anything right now anyway, because we've been without power and water for about half an hour now. Our room is pitch black, although the little candle I lit provides a small glow in the center of the room. I turned down the brightness on my computer screen where I'm watching the Patriots game to make it last as long as possible. And I just realized how warm it is at 8:00 at night without air conditioning!

Hopefully they'll fix the problem soon so we can sleep comfortably, and I can see if we have any more lizard visitors! But in the meantime, I'm just thankful that this is temporary, and that the Lord provides not only our needs, but also the "extras" we take for granted, like electricity, running water, and air conditioning. We are very blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the day! I hope the power is back on by now and you are enjoying a cool evening without the company of your lizard-friend. I am not a big fan of lizards either. A few weeks back, we had a skink in the kitchen. We went through quite the ordeal to return it to its proper habitat. (I don't think I would have slept well if we hadn't.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Your dad just talked about you in his sermon...haha. he then said that you may be listening to it this week and he said hi and that he loves you...and that you are doing much better.....funny stuff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...