Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Midweek Update

After a somewhat lengthy blogging absence, I thought I should take a few minutes to update you on our lives. But I'm not sure how long this will last because I found out today that my computer battery is on its last leg. When it finally dies, I will be relegated to using Ryan's computer during the couple hours he is at lab each week (or when he comes home at 12am, but blogging probably won't be a priority at that time of day). So while I still can, here is what we've been up to recently.

Most importantly, Ryan had another round of exams last week, so his time has been spent studying diligently. His hard work paid off once again. On his midterm exam, he scored a 99%, missing just one question. That should put him in a good position to make an A in that class even though the final will be quite difficult. He also had a final exam in another class, and he made an A on that as well! So his 4.0 GPA continues, and I could not be more proud of him. Once exams were completed, he spent a few days writing his first paper for the research society. He finished his rough draft last night, and now it's back to regular studying for the rest of the semester. He enjoyed the change of pace, and looks forward to more research in the months ahead. Not only did I marry a (soon-to-be) doctor, but a published author as well!

I have kept very busy with cooking meals for Ryan, spending sunny afternoons at the pool with friends, and knitting all kinds of fun items. Last week, Ryan and I went out for dinner to celebrate the completion of his exams. We tried a new place called Umbrellas. It is right on the beach and has the most beautiful views of the island. We sat on the balcony and enjoyed a delicious (American-style) meal. The prices are very reasonable, the service is excellent, and the food is amazing. Ryan had a juicy burger with grilled pineapple, and I had the buffalo wings. We split a decadent brownie sundae for dessert. It's probably our new favorite place (for the one time we eat out each semester).




The next night, we celebrated a friend's birthday by going to KFC (his favorite restaurant) with some friends. His wife, a good friend of mine, had to stay home and work this semester, so we wanted to make his day special even though she couldn't be there with him. I baked a chocolate cake that we brought with us. The lady at KFC was hesitant to let us eat it, but eventually agreed . . . until her boss came in and she made me hide the cake pan in my bag. But we enjoyed a fun evening and good food.


I've started taking a kickboxing class two nights a week. And as I quickly learned, running 30 minutes a day does not in any way prepare you for an hour-long kickboxing class. I'm sore for days afterwards, but it's good for me, and I actually do enjoy it.

Last Friday, I joined some other spouses for a recipe exchange. I made my mom's Peanut Butter Crunch Cake, and it was a huge hit. I came home with an empty pan, but some delicious recipes from friends that I can't wait to try (crab salad or rosemary bread, anyone?). This Sunday night, our friend wants to surprise his girlfriend for her birthday, and asked me to make her a red velvet cake. Fortunately, the grocery store cooperated this week and I was able to find birthday candles as well (and for less than $1!). We really don't eat that much dessert on a normal basis, but I guess it's a good thing I'm taking a kickboxing class with all this cake I've been eating recently!

It's hard to believe we'll be home in just 6 weeks! I know the time will go by quickly, but I am getting more and more anxious to see my family and friends again. We have a busy summer planned, so I should probably take these next few weeks and rest up before our vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...