Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fresh Goat Cheese

Yesterday, I toured Belmont Estates with a few friends. It's actually a 400-acre plantation on the north side of the island that supplies most of the island's fresh fruits and vegetables and has an organic chocolate factory. More about that in another post.

But while we were there, I purchased a log of fresh goat cheese for about $3.45. It's quite a bit more expensive in the grocery store, so I haven't bought any since we've been down here. But it's one of my favorite cheeses, and I was so excited to find it so cheap! I didn't wait long before putting it to good use. We used it tonight in a salad to accompany homemade lasagna.


Ryan and I made a quick trip to the grocery store to buy milk since they were out of it when we went on Monday. I wanted to find some nice greens to make a salad, and I happened to see fresh arugula and watercress. I bought a large bunch of each for a total of $3.

I cut the goat cheese into rounds, sprinkled them with pepper, and dipped them in olive oil. Next, I coated them in a thin layer of seasoned bread crumbs and baked them at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes (watching to be sure they don't actually melt). For a quick and easy dressing, I combined vinegar (I would have used a cider vinegar or balsamic if I had it on hand), mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil and drizzled it on the greens. I topped the salad with a couple goat cheese rounds and some chopped green onions.

The salad was rich, tangy, and filling - definitely a new favorite, although we might have to wait until we're back in the US to have goat cheese more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...