Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The End of an Era

Just about two years ago, we bought our wonderful little toaster oven from a student who was leaving the island. (You can read about that day here.) I don't think a day has gone by that we have not used the toaster oven in some capacity, whether toasting bagels in the morning or baking cakes, casseroles, muffins, and many other treats. We have been so thankful for this appliance as our dorm room had only a two-burner stove and a microwave furnished for us. While I am still looking forward to having a full-sized oven in a few months (and being able to bake more than 6 cupcakes at a time), this toaster oven has definitely made our time in Grenada much easier.

Of course, all good things must come to an end. And tomorrow we will pass on our oven to another couple just starting their time down here. They are flying home a week before we are, so I spent the evening baking anything I could think of that would also use up our remaining pantry ingredients. We now have a batch of chewy oatmeal cookie bars and a pan of cornbread to eat. And tomorrow morning, I will bake a lasagna for dinner. I would have made that tonight as well, but I forgot to take the ground beef out of the freezer yesterday.

Tonight as I scrubbed and cleaned the toaster oven, I couldn't help but be thankful for the blessing that a simple appliance has been, and the reminder that God cares about the little things in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...