Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemade Thai Food

I don't think you can enjoy more tropical flavors than mango and coconut. And since I've had a seemingly endless supply of mangoes these past few weeks, I decided to look up some new recipes where I could use these delicious fruits in a new way.

One of the first things I found was a recipe for a mango custard. The instructions called for unflavored gelatin, but I could only find a package of custard powder at the grocery store. I combined a few recipes and improvised to come up with tonight's dessert.

I pureed about 4 mangos with a dash of sugar. Then whisked together 1/4 cup coconut milk and a couple Tablespoons of the custard powder. Blend that with the mango puree for a few seconds. Bring 3/4 cup coconut milk to a boil, then combine in the blender with previous ingredients. Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened. Just about as easy as making pudding from a box! And the possibilities are endless.


So now that I had the most important part of a meal complete, I had to find something to cook for the main course. Since I already had coconut milk, I decided to try a Thai coconut curry chicken dish.

I browned some chopped chicken breasts that had sat in the fridge for about 30 minutes mixed with ground ginger, curry powder, garlic, and salt. Next, I added chopped scallions and onions, a Tablespoon of tomato paste, and a cup of coconut milk. I let everything simmer for about 5 minutes. And in about 15 minutes (of cooking time), dinner was ready! I served the chicken with brown rice and steamed edamame (which I know is more a part of Japanese cuisine than Thai, but we love edamame, and I couldn't pass them up in the store this past week).


After a filling and flavorful dinner, the smooth and creamy mango custard was the perfect dessert. And the best part is, I have enough leftovers for another complete meal this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...