Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chinese Cuisine

I meant to post this last week, but somehow I never got around to it. A few weeks ago, I made deviled eggs for a tailgating party. While I was boiling the eggs, I noticed one of the shells must have cracked because there were little ribbons of egg in the boiling water. It reminded me of egg drop soup, and I was curious to see if the recipe for egg drop soup was made in a similar way.

Egg drop soup is one of my favorite things to order at a Chinese restaurant. But I'm always disappointed that it comes in such a small bowl and with only a couple mushrooms (and green onions, if I'm lucky). I found a super easy recipe online and gave it a try last week. The only problem I had was that the grocery store had absolutely no chicken stock or broth. I had to use vegetable stock instead. It probably would have been better with chicken, but it was actually pretty tasty! I loaded it up with mushrooms and green onions. And I was fortunate enough to find white pepper at the store. Add that plus a little ginger and soy sauce and you have the perfect broth. Once the soup is simmering, pour in slightly beaten eggs and they immediately turn into the delicious little ribbons just like in a restaurant.


In addition to the egg drop soup, I made a quick chicken and vegetable stir fry. The vegetables would have been better in a Japanese stir fry rather than Chinese, but you use what you have down here! With a glaze made from combining soy sauce, local Grenadian honey, ginger, and garlic powder, the meal became one of our new favorites.

I'm hoping to find chicken stock sometime in the next few weeks so I can try the soup again, along with a new recipe I found for orange chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah,
    Just an idea about the Chicken Stock, you could make your own by boiling chicken bones, onion, celery, and carrots and just covering those items with water. After cutting up a chicken to get the bones you will have chicken for another meal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...