Thursday, March 18, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

A couple weeks ago I wrote about my food/kitchen situation, and afterwards I received so many recipes and ideas from my sweet friends. I can't wait to try lasagna in the microwave one day soon! They inspired me to think outside the box and be a little more creative in my meal selections. So today I spent some time online finding recipes that used things I already had on hand. I was lucky to have a good meat selection at the grocery store this week, and decided to use the boneless chicken breasts tonight. I came up with 4 recipes, described them to Ryan, and we decided on one to try.

After dinner, I asked Ryan if this should be something we put on the regular rotation. His response, "I'd probably try another recipe before we had this again." Haha! Of course, he also said it was very good and there was nothing wrong with it. But coming from the man who is probably the least picky eater in the world, I could tell this wasn't a favorite. I asked what he didn't like about it, and he said there were too many different flavors going on.

For my part, I thought it was pretty good. The chicken came out juicy and not overcooked. I served it with brown rice and broccoli. But that's okay - I'm more than happy to move on and experiment with a different recipe next time! In case you're curious, here is the recipe (with the changes I made, in case one of those was the problem):

Ingredients:
• 3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in 1-inch pieces or strips
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 leeks, white part, cleaned and thinly sliced (I used green onions)
• 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used more chicken broth instead)
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes (I didn't have any, so I cut up a fresh tomato)
• 1 jar or can (about 15 ounces) artichokes, drained and cut up (I didn't have this)
• 1 can (3 to 4 ounces) sliced black olives, drained (I didn't have this either)
• 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and leeks; sauté until leeks are tender, stirring frequently.
Add mushrooms and sauté for about 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
Add the broth and wine; simmer briskly for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until reduced by about 1/2.
Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a minute or two longer.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good, although I can see how there are lots of different flavors. I always ask Jacob the same thing when we try a new recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...